While the term “family planning” is often used synonymously with birth control, family planning is more than just about using contraception. From providing sexuality education to reproductive healthcare services, it poses numerous benefits for the wellbeing of both mother and child, as well as for the family and their community at large.
The Importance of Family Planning
1. Family planning promotes maternal health by allowing women to control the timing and spacing of their pregnancies. This freedom to choose when or when not to have a baby significantly reduces her risk of serious health consequences and death, and provides her with much-needed time to regain her health in between pregnancies. Additionally, women who have chronic illnesses can better plan and prepare for the best time to start a family.
2. Family planning promotes the long-term health and wellbeing of newborn babies. Studies show that frequent, ill-timed or closely spaced pregnancies and births lead to higher infant mortality rates. By fostering good maternal health, family planning enables women to have safe, healthier births and better nourished babies.
3. Family planning is one of the best ways to prevent unplanned pregnancy in Singapore. It gives women complete control over her reproductive health and activities, allowing her to delay pregnancies for as long as she wishes or when necessary. As a result, family planning reduces the need to undergo abortion surgery.
4. Family planning is beneficial for families financially. It takes into consideration the parents’ capability to provide for their children’s present and future needs, including the medical costs of pregnancy and delivery, up to the child’s education, food, clothing, shelter, etc. Couples can then make an informed decision on how many children they can have based on their current income and lifestyle.
5. Family planning prevents the spread of HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) through the use of contraceptives such as male and female condoms. In addition, family planning provides men and women living with HIV/AIDS and STDs with the healthcare services they need to prevent unplanned pregnancies.
6. Family planning educates couples and young people about their reproductive and sexual health, and helps them to make informed decisions regarding the use of contraception and planning pregnancies effectively.
7. Family planning reduces adolescent and teenage pregnancies, which have a higher chance of resulting in preterm delivery, low baby weight and neonatal mortality. Pregnancy at a young age also negatively affects the health of the mother and poses long-term consequences for them individually and in society such as interrupted formal education and limited social opportunities.
8. Family planning aids in population planning and control, which leads to positive community development, effective conservation and distribution of natural resources, more jobs, sufficient number of schools and healthcare and sanitation facilities, and other economic and environmental benefits.
9. Family planning fosters good relationships between members of the family. A manageable family size ensures that parents are able to give adequate time and attention for each child and each other. At the same time, the individual needs of the children will be met accordingly and timely.
Due to its importance and benefits for everyone involved, family planning should be a factor in all couples intending to start or expand their families. For more information, please contact our clinic at +65 6459 2833 today.
MBBS (Singapore), MMed (O&G) (Singapore), FRCOG (London), FAM (Singapore)
I am an obstetrician and gynaecologist with over 30 years’ experience in Singapore and the United Kingdom, dedicated to improving women’s reproductive health and wellbeing. From preventive care to medical and surgical treatments, I handle them all within my clinic. As a supporter of reproductive choice, I also provide abortion in Singapore that is safe, effective and confidential. At our accredited abortion clinic, patients can expect a smooth and informed process along with attentive follow-up care. Whatever the purpose of visit, I will be happy to serve you to the best of my ability.Read More